These days in many parties, you see these beautiful fondant adorned cupcakes. But seldom can you actually eat them! They look pretty but doesn’t taste great. Here is a beautiful recipe that will help you create yummy red velvet cupcakes at home. After all, cupcakes are loved by most children and no party seems complete without a bunch of cupcakes. So here it is!
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cups sugar
2 heaped tbsp baking cocoa (powdered)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 sticks/200 gms salted butter at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk (see note at bottom)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl. Sift dry ingredients three times.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each egg.
- Add alternatively the flour mixture and buttermilk to the sugar-butter creamed mixture. Keep mixing till you get a smooth batter. Make sure you start and end with the dry mixture.
- Now mix in vanilla and food coloring.
- Fill lined cupcake pans 1/2 full of red velvet batter. Bake in a preheated 180 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Note:- For the buttermilk, just add a tbsp of lemon juice to a cup of milk. Let it stand for 10-15 minutes. Your buttermilk is ready.
For the cream frosting
Beat 200 gms butter with icing sugar. Add a tsp of vanilla essence and some food color to get that pink touch. You can also add some strawberry pulp to give it a strawberry flavor.